Monday, March 8, 2010

My Latest Projects

Since I've been staying home with Simon I've realized a few things...
1- We are extremely poor since I'm not working anymore
2- I have a little more time on my hands than I used to
So I've embarked on a couple of projects over the last few months to keep me occupied and to save us a little cash.

I really wanted a glider for our nursery, but we could never bring ourselves to spend the money since there were so many other baby things we needed to buy. A few months after Simon was born I was strolling through the DI and found this baby for $20.

$10, painting, and a little sewing later...

This is Simon trying it out when he was about 5 months.

Simon also needed some drawers and once again, the DI had just what I was looking for. $15 drawers, $5 paint and $2 hardware (thank you IKEA)- can't beat that! I forgot to take a before pic, just picture it yellow, sparkley, and no handles. This was the final outcome...


My latest was a cover for Simon's next car seat. Rich and Les were kind enough to give us Bentley's old seat. Thanks again guys! Plus I was given a great sewing machine for my birthday from Mom and Dad B (which I love, thanks!) So it was a good sewing project to take on to help me learn. I looked online and these covers usually cost about $50. Yikes!

Since they don't make patterns for this I kind of just made it up as I went along, but this was the final outcome...

7 comments:

The Oman Family said...

Wow. Very impressive!

Unknown said...

Fee you are so very domestic, someday I am going to need to learn these skills! :)

Jessica said...

Holy cow! I had no idea you were so crafty! I love all of your projects! You need to come to our next craft night!
We are definitely starting to feel the expense of baby items, so we are getting creative too. Thanks for sharing your ideas! I just got a used glider off ksl.com - you have got to show me how you recovered your cushions! I don't even know where to start!

Georgia said...

I am just absolutely amazed at your sewing skills! These are not easy projects and they turned out great!

amy jo said...

Kristine you are amazing. I can't even thread my sewing machine.. I need some serious lessons from you! Your projects look so good.

Emily said...

Wow! I am so impressed. I have been trying to learn a little sewing myself but I wouldn't even know where to start without a pattern! They all turned out great! I think that you have discovered a talent and a useful one!

THE TWO BELLS said...

You are so creative! Way to go! I am impressed. I especially love the carseat cover (sure you really don't want that leapard print for your little boy?) Glad to see you putting that sewing machine to use!